Hialeah Florida teens died from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning in motel room

Hialeah Fire Rescue and Police are investigating a horrible accident where 5 teenagers were found dead in a motel room from apparent carbon monixide poisoning. According to news reports, a car was left running outside of the room but somehow the toxic fumes were able to get into the motel room.

The reports also indicated that building inspectors were looking into whether improper maintenance or inadequate ventilation contributed to the deaths.

If there was a building code violation found to have contributed to the deaths, Florida law may allow a wrongful death claim to be brought against the Motel owners. Florida law generally requires property owners to reasonably maintain their property and to make sure it is to code. Under the comparative fault laws, even if the Motel was 10% responsible for contributing to the deaths, they could be held to pay 10% of the total verdict or amount of money to compensate these families for their losses.


If a loved one was the victim of a wrongful death by carbon monoxide or other poisoning, you may have a claim for funeral expenses, loss of companionship, pain and suffering and other damages. The law also limits the time to bring a wrongful death claim in Florida. It is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible if you wish to pursue a wrongful death claim.

For more information, please feel free to call us at (888) 99-VICTIM. That’s (888) 998-4284.

Contact Information